In 2014, Louis Obadal was diagnosed with Lupus. He was one of the fortunate ones; diagnosed less than eight months in. Most with Lupus are diagnosed after several years and even more medical teams. His began with seizures and TIAs, followed by kidney failures, myelitis, seventeen doctors, and more.
The diagnosis was harder due to one stigma...he was a man. On the day of diagnosis, he asked his wife to help him get something online for men. Men Have Lupus was founded in the middle of a vicious kidney failure, and the perfect preoccupation for Lou while he fought.
In 2016, the NPSLE (neuropsychiatric Lupus) gave him organic brain disease. Lou was also given a grave diagnosis (terminal) and informed there were no treatment options left.
Men Have Lupus is a total Lupus revolution. Our mission is strong and an easy one to stand behind. Let us explain every part of it to you.
- Spread awareness outside of our community. Most awareness and knowledge stays inside the Lupus community, and this shouldn't be the case. Heather will go up to strangers who exhibit the malar rash and ask if they've been tested for Lupus. She also talks to people online. She won't stop until every single person has an ANA panel done, just in case they have Lupus.
- Strengthening knowledge and unity not just in the Lupus community, but in the entire chronic illness community. There is a divide in the community and stigmas toward men with certain diseases. All of this must go away.
- Help with testing based on massive research.
- Help others in the chronic illness with bills, food, medicine, transportation, etc
- Create the Chronic Illness Oasis. Please click and read about it. It is an insane goal, but it is much needed.